This is a long keep recipe that I baked few months ago. Baked it together with other chiffon cakes during my chiffon cake study. I get this recipe from Kitchen Tigress, I found her blog from youtube while I was searching for video on how to make chiffon cake.
100g pandan leaves, use only soft and moist young leaves
70g freshly squeezed coconut milk, undiluted
180g egg whites
½tsp cream of tartar
60g egg yolks
60g corn oil
100g cake flour (sifted with baking powder)
1tsp baking powder
1. Blend pandan leaves with coconut milk and 1 tbsp water. Strain pandan leave and get green liquid. Set aside green liquid, which should weigh 95 g.
2. Add sugar into egg yolks, immediately whisk with hand whisk until pale and light.
3. Add in corn oil, mix well.
4. Add in green pandan coconut liquid, mix well.
5. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt, stir until well combined.
6. Whisk egg white with electrical hand mixer until big bubbles form, add in cream of tartar.
7. Continue whisk from medium to high speed until small bubbles form (egg white is white in colour now) .
8. Slowly add in sugar, continue whisk at high speed until soft peak formed.
9. Add 1/3 of meringue into egg yolk mixture, mix gently with hand whisk until well combined, you will get a light mixture.
10. Change hand whisk to spatula, fold in 1/2 of remaining meringue. GENTLY fold with egg yolks batter until 50% combined (you will still see white meringue now).
11. Add all remaining meringue and fold GENTLY with spatula again until well combined. I did in in this way: spatula cut mixture into center all the way to bottom bowl, scrap from bottom along bowl side toward you. Rotate bowl few degree and repeat this action until well combined. (your mixture should be very light and volumic now).
12. Pour batter into 18cm chiffon cake pan, level the surface. Bang mixing bowl against worktop 2-3 times to remove air bubbles. Run a chopstick round side of tin to remove more air bubbles. Level and smooth top. Bake in preheated oven at 160C at lowest rack with fan forced for 40-45 minutes.
13. Remove cake pan and invert pan immediately, cool completely before remove cake from pan.
The cake should be evenly green but I saw some white spot, it was due to unbalance mix during step 11, meringue not mix properly with egg yolk batter.
Compare with other recipe which I used 5 eggs, this recipe used only 4 eggs. It is shorter compare with 5 eggs chiffon cake on right (picture below). I prefer 5 eggs recipe.
Left: 4 eggs recipe; Right: 5 eggs recipe